Sunday, September 23, 2012

attending to the church

Today when Nick mentioned that he has been in church for nine years out of his 19 years of life, I thought, man, that's a long time to be attending church! (For a young person lah) Dude, that's like half his life! Wow.

And then I thought about myself - I've attended Grace since 2006, which doesn't seem so long ago. I still find it hard to embrace the fact that I'm a "regular churchgoer". I don't like being a churchgoer. I think that label is outdated. The only reason I go to church is for the community and for the connecting with God. And also my Sundays would be dead boring without it. Hah!

*storytime* I wasn't always a Christian my whole life. There was a point in time when I was an angst-filled teen with no place or purpose to live for. If it weren't for God's touch back at that rally, I would probably be someone I won't want to meet in a dark alley today (Granted, sometimes I still don't want to meet myself in a dark alley. I'm not perfect!).

Six years have passed. SIX. The transformational encounters in that period, the amazing experiences, the uplifting fellowship - all of that, and God, of course, trumps any bad encounters (both in and out of church) I had during that time, and has molded me for whatever is going to come my way (still being molded!).

I just want to say that attending church is a choice for many people. I know of some Christians who've attended church their whole lives, some have not done so. But most Christians grow the most and the strongest in an environment like that. God didn't call us to him for us to be alone in our faith - just look at the book of Acts! Either way, whether you attend or not, God loves you all the same.

Remember that.


14 Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. 
Hebrews 12


*Comment or send me a message if you want to talk! I always answer FB messages :)

No comments:

Post a Comment