Sunday, January 13, 2013

thoughts: cny clothes shopping

Dear reader,

Today I have finally finished my Chinese New Year clothes shopping. It was done at Cotton On (cheap and fashionable, who doesn't love it?), with almost 50% discounts on three articles of clothing. The first is a Jemima Day Dress (in a color the tag calls "gardenia", how cute!), sleeveless and made of viscose - suitable for the CNY heat wave. The other one, also a dress, is a shift dress in the pinkest of salmon shades you'll ever find, and made of the thickest of fabric, with a weird floral pattern embossed on it. This dress makes me look shapeless, but I like it because it's reminiscent of the 60s. The third is something I bought for the music festival later this month, a mullet top. I know what you're thinking, mullet?! That trend is so over six months ago! But it's made of the thinnest of materials, which would be good for all day wear. Plus it has baroque print all over it. Cutesy.

It's rare to find clothes that would fit me - I have abnormally (well, not quite, but it's above average) broad shoulders, in proportion to my body size. (Yes, everyone, even the most beautiful of girls, have a part of their body they are not happy with) Great fitting shirts are tough to find, and tunics become my best friend. In fact, when people tell me that they like this particular top I'm wearing, 100% of the time it's a men's top. (Men's clothes are made so that it fits broader shoulders) Pretty cool because that means I can pull off the boyfriend shirt well!

If you are also in the same predicament as I am (wide hips, short torso, too tall, too short, whatever you're having), remember that it only takes one person to make you happy - yourself. Who cares what your body looks like. You're made like that. You don't have to embrace it, just accept it. Don't listen to what others are whispering behind you're back, because deep down, they've not yet resolved their own self-esteem issues. Instead, be thankful that YOU are one gorgeous person with zero unresolved inner dilemma, who feels comfortable in her own skin and can afford to walk down the street with your head held high.

Happy CNY clothes shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment