Tuesday, March 5, 2013

now reading: game of thrones

I am now reading this book.

(Did you know that the series isn't actually Game of Thrones, it's called A Song of Ice and Fire? Game of Thrones is just the name of the first book! Somehow somewhere, someone thought the series would be way cooler if called A Game of Thrones. And it is. Also, it's not "Game of Thrones" as you would think, it's "A Game of Thrones". Thanks to Sam who pointed it out! LOL)

Before I read this book, I did not have any interest in the series whatsoever. The only thing I heard (that was constant) from my friends is that "There's a lot of sex scenes in the show!" like that was the only thing the show was about! Hahaha.

On the book: I like reading this book. It may seem thick and daunting, and the sentences long and winding, but it's a relatively easy read (I believe this would fall under the young adult/sci-fi genre) and you'll be flipping through the pages quick enough. Some may say there are too many characters to remember, but once you get to know everyone, you'll be able to differentiate them well enough. (Except fight scenes where squires and random Sers appear, hah!)

I have a particular liking of taking note of the food and beverages of any literature - and the ones in this series, no less! Honeyed wine, meats on skewers and the particular use of the phrase "meat and mead" - it's not long before someone writes a review about it. (Did you know that The Hunger Games even has its own spin-off recipe book?)


It's also interesting to read the book, get to know the character, and then do a Google image search of what the characters look like! I can't wait to watch the series :)


No comments:

Post a Comment